You could spend days reading blogs and forum posts about how to hire a wedding photographer... and still not feel confident about making the best choice.
Or you could get everything you need
in one helpful guide. Right now.
Your Wedding Day Begins with Your Dream
It's your big day, the day you've been dreaming of since you were a little girl.
Now your wedding will soon be here and you want it to shine like you’ve always imagined.
Where do you begin the journey of preparation?
Typically, with your photographer.
And wedding industry insider and veteran Andy Ebon agrees...
Your relationship with your wedding photographer is one of the most important when designing your wedding.
Your photographer is planning with you months before your ceremony, capturing and creating special moments during your wedding day, and working to craft those once-in-a-lifetime images for your prints and album after the event.
Your photographer will become like family, highlighting every aspect of your day from the getting ready moments to turning out the lights at the reception hall. You want to invest that time with someone who is interested in your dream and has the vision, talent, and skill to achieve it, someone you can trust.
But Finding the Right Photographer Isn't Easy...
If you spend any time browsing wedding blogs or online forums like The Knot, WeddingWire, or Martha Stewart Weddings, you know that finding the right photographer for you can be a challenge.
- What if you and your photographer don’t click?
- What if you don’t like your pictures?
- What if you never get your pictures?
Chances are good that one of your friends or someone else you know hasn't had a great experience with their photographer. How do you know you'll make a good choice?
...And Wedding Photography is Expensive
According to SnapKnot, the average price for wedding photography in the U.S. (2014) was $2,814.
No matter who you are, that's a lot of money.
And prices typically range from $500 to over $10,000.
For an event as important as your wedding, how do you find someone you can trust?
Take the Guesswork Out of Hiring Your Wedding Photographer
It's true that some brides will end up with a photography experience that's... not ideal.
That might happen to other people—but not you.
Because you are a smart bride.
Who Am I and Why Am I Writing This Guide?
I’m Michael Gowin and I’ve operated a professional photography business in Lincoln, Illinois, since 2006. I’ve photographed engagement sessions and weddings from St. Louis to the Chicago area and all throughout central Illinois. I’ve photographed weddings in back yards, big churches, small chapels—even one in Busch Stadium (home of the St. Louis Cardinals).
I opened my own retail portrait studio in 2013 and, over the years, I’ve learned a lot about what couples want and what they feel is important.
I’ve also worked with a team of veteran wedding photographers who helped shape the content of this guide. Taken together, they've photographed thousands of weddings and they know their stuff.
With their additional insight, this will be the easiest to use and most authoritative resource for you to learn what you need to know to hire your photographer.
What's Inside the Bride's Guide
Here’s what you’ll discover in The Smart Bride’s Guide to Hiring a Professional Wedding Photographer:
- Why your relationship with your photographer is the most important among all your wedding vendors
- How to avoid common pitfalls that keep you from getting what you really want (great photographs)
- The three common styles of wedding photography—and how to choose a photographer whose vision matches yours
- The best places to find qualified photographers
- How to “read” photographs from dozens of sample photos so you can gauge a photographer’s skill and experience
- The essential questions you need to ask before you sign a contract
- Why an engagement session with your chosen wedding photographer is crucial to having great wedding pictures
- How to understand the costs behind wedding photography
- Explanations of the important clauses in your wedding photography contract in plain English
- How to set the timeline for your day so you get the pictures that matter most to you
- Other tips to help ensure you have a great wedding experience
Get a Free Sample
Praise from Michael Gowin’s Wedding Clients
Let me be clear on this: The Smart Bride's Guide to Hiring a Professional Wedding Photographer is not intended to help me book new wedding clients. My business is now centered around portrait clients who come to my studio in central Illinois.
But I want my experience to help you choose the right photographer no matter where you live.
So I thought you might find it helpful to hear what some of my wedding clients have said about the work I've created for them.
Get Your Copy Today
The Smart Bride's Guide to Hiring a Professional Wedding Photographer is available for instant download in three editions.
Basic E-Reader Edition - $5.99
Got a Kindle, Nook, or Kobo reader? Do you read books on your phone? The Basic E-Reader Edition is made just for you. Click one of the buttons below to buy it for your device at your favorite online retailer--or get both epub and Kindle mobi versions right here by clicking the Buy Now button.
Deluxe PDF Edition - $8.99
All the information and photographs that illustrate the Basic edition but presented in a beautifully designed high-resolution format PDF. Perfect for reading on your computer or high-resolution tablet.
Complete Premium Edition -
The ultimate in convenience and savings. The Complete Premium Edition includes:
- E-reader versions in MOBI and EPUB formats for your Kindle and everything else ($5.99 value)
- Deluxe PDF Edition for your computer and tablet ($8.99 value)